Thread: S&W Posters
View Single Post

Old 10-18-2009, 09:33 PM
S&W Historian

Liked 11,327 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR III View Post
S&W actually commissioned 12 paintings to be made. These are the same images that appear on the sideplates of the 12 Revolver series. The original artwork was done by G.W. Peters, Dan Smith and Frederic Remington. S&W sold a 14" x 15" reproduction of these works of art by sending in 10 cents silver. You still find copies of these prints in old magazines like Pearsons, Munseys, Town & Country, Colliers and others.

An original poster from 1902 or 1903 will fetch upwards of $500. Several of these were reprinted over the years such as the Last Cartridge or Hostile. The ones printed for the 75th anniversary or the Centennial in 1952 are usually worth around $200. The ones like those above were done during the Bangor Punta years and usually sell for $25 or less.
The original series in 1902-03 were done in two sizes. The 12 revolver series did not reproduce all of the original series. If I remember, they used two or three other scenes not from the original series.
"The Hostiles" was reproduced in the early 1930's with the banner "SMITH & WESSON REVOLVERS" on the top and bottom.
They were done in english, spanish and portugese.
I hate to step on my good friend JSR II's toes, but if you find an original 1902 print for $500.00, buy it. They sell for $1000.00 or more. I have all 12 of the prints. I was lucky enough to buy 10 of them from an original owner that had them in a drawer and never had them in the light.
It took about 10 years to get a mint The Last Cartridge to replace the water stained copy I had.