View Single Post

Old 10-18-2009, 10:36 PM

Liked 36 Times in 10 Posts

I used to shoot the cap&ball revolvers a lot.Today,I have and use a Uberti made Colt second model dragoon which I will keep.The Colt percussion revolver design (which I prefer) has it's quirks,which I suppose may be part of it's charm.

Among several other of it's idiosyncrasies,One of the pins you refer to can quite commonly slip out when stripping the gun or on occasion wedge in the opposing hole in the barrel unit when slightly oversized.These pins are press fitted in their recess and sometimes the fit will be either too tight in one or too loose in one hole or the other.I've had more than one come out while dissasemblying.

Repairs of this nature are very easy and only require a modest amount of gunsmith skill.

Two problems noted are common with most of the cap&ball revolvers such as hitting high on target and getting a jam from fired cap debris.

Another very common quirk is for it's loading lever to drop during recoil.This is usually because the notch catch is slipping and is very easy to solve with a few strokes of a needle file.Sometimes it will be because the spring is not strong enough in which case a small wedge installed behind the spring will normally work very well.

If you ever have another problem with seperating the barrel unit from the receiver,place a piece of leather between rammer and cylinder and use a bit more force when pushing the rammer against the cylinder face.It should come loose.

Last edited by canoe on the yukon; 10-18-2009 at 10:47 PM.