View Single Post

Old 10-19-2009, 02:54 AM
US Veteran

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Forget my previous post. 1970-73, the gun is hardly broken in and would be safe to shoot. Still would like some photos to verify condition. What might be 90% to 95% to you might be 98% to 99% to someone else. It would have even more value if you had the original box for it. The collectors go crazy for guns with matching boxes. It could add 10% to 20% to the value of the gun. Even without the box, given age and condition, I'd say you did fairly well on the deal.
I honestly didn't know that anyone still made ammo for the .38 S&W cartridge. Well, no one has accused me of being smart lately. It never occured to me that Midway would have it, but hey, live and learn. But I still wouldn't shoot my grandfathers' .38 S&W, at least not much. I last shot it probably 40 years ago, and on the second shot the cylinder and crane fell out of the gun. I put it back together as best as I could and haven't done anything but look at it since. But with your gun, I'd ask some of the SWCA members if shooting it would detract from the value. Better safe than sorry. If they say it's OK to shoot it, then have fun! -Ed.