View Single Post

Old 10-23-2009, 05:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys, today I checked out my nearest firearm dealer and discovered they were all sold out and won't have more until November 9th. The guy running the shop said something about his license renewal (or something like that) because I was in his shop back in May or June and he was loaded down with every firearm imaginable. Today though he only had a fraction of them left.

After calling around to a few firearm shops I have discovered that Gander Mountain has at least one left for $499. Tomorrow I will go and check it out, hopefully it won't be sold out by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
I've had mine for about a month and love the gun. I've put 750- rounds through it - mostly Federal and CCI Blaxer bulk pack - with one 'jam'. That malfunction was due to the way I loaded the last round in the magazine.

I find the gun to be quite accurate and very reliable. It's also easy to strip and clean.

Based on my experience to date I'd definitely recommend the 15-22.
Thanks for the input Nav. Tell me, how much has your ammo costed you? I know .22 rounds are cheap but I just want to be prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460v LAC du FLAMBEAU View Post
This rifle is ideal to learn about the AR15 platform before you upgrade to the "223 world". Less expensive than the 223's and there are so many options you need to learn about prior to spending thousands of dollars for ammo, scopes, flashlights etc.

My brother-in-law has trained his son on his M&P15-22 for the past 8 weeks and has well over 5,000 rounds on his rifle. They will now investigate the 223 world with a new AR15 purchase prior to the holidays.

I purchased the M&P15 VTAC version 4 months ago (still tough to find) and I am up to $2,700 of expeditures (rifle, ammo, scope, front grip/flashlight holder, case etc) on this puppy. Could not be happier with this VTAC version although it is top of the line for the M&P15's.

For under $500, you will be satisfied with a .22 version of the AR15.
Yeah I couldn't believe how expensive .223 rounds are. Sure the AR-15 isn't cheap in itself but the recurring cost of buying any reasonable amount of ammo is just crazy. To me it seems like the .223 rounds are nearly $1 per round. Right now I am saving up for a new Camaro next year so it's probably going to be a few years before I can afford my dream .223 AR-15 but I really want one with an ACOG scope, those scopes are sweet.

I am pleased to hear that your brother in law has fired so many rounds through the gun, do you know how many times he cleaned it? Also can you tell me about the VTAC variant? It's probably expensive but I would like to hear how it differs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxShooter2k9 View Post
I absolutly love my 15-22, i had some issues when i first got it in early September, but S&W repaired it for me ,and its been great, ive got about 400rds through it now using mostly Federal Bulk from walmart, Winchester Superx, and CCI minimags, and its been a blast, its a great gun, super easy to clean, i would highly recommend it, great gun and s&w has great customer service.
I was reading about the problems you had with your 15-22, I was sorry to hear about them. Based on what you wrote I could tell you were very eager to get your 15-22 back. Overall I am impressed with how S&W and even your firearms dealer handled the problem. I remember you saying S&W gave you an extra magazine for your inconveniences, even your firearm dealer gave you some freebie ammo right? Somewhere in these forums I even heard some component (I believe it was the extractor) disintegrated and fell out of the gun. Some said it could be that S&W got some bad metal, but some were concerned that the failures could be caused by a design flaw. Hopefully not the latter since that would probably take a great deal of time to resolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27 Beck View Post
Welcome to the forum, Chris.

Another satisfied 15-22 owner. Although I had the common issue of extractor problems, S&W took care of the repair with shipping both ways at their expense. They included two new magazines at no cost when they returned the rifle to me. Any product when new can have some issues. Computers, wash machines, automobiles have all had some problems at times, especially when bringing out a new model. S&W is standing behind their product 100% with timely fixes to any breakdowns.

Oh, and the 15-22 doesn't use clips, it uses magazines.
Thanks for the warm welcome Beck.

Like TxShooters story I read yours also. Again I have to say S&W has handled themselves very well with these failures. I am now confident that if I get a lemon it will be repaired and returned to me at no cost, but like TxShooter I would be hanging on the edge of my seat waiting to get my rifle back. Everyone seems to have lots of fun shooting this rifle. So how has your 15-22 treated you since you got it back? Oh thanks for the correction, I was aware that this rifle uses a magazine but I was typing fast and made a bit of an error. Corrected now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxShooter2k9 View Post
x2, well said, same here, and welcome Chris.
Thanks TxShooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessail 77 View Post
Chris
Welcome to the forum, here you will find many experienced gun owners to offer help and advice. I bought a new 15-22 a few weeks ago and shot over 500 rounds through it, found that seating the rounds in the magazine (taping it on palm or gently on table) is very important as .22 rounds tend to stovepipe more than larger rounds. I also own an AR in .223 and actually love shooting the 15-22 more. It performs flawlessly, is extremely accurate and S&W customer service is excellent. All things considered an excellent choice and I would not hesitate to recommend this rifle to anyone wanting a .22 caliber.
Thanks chessail. I always seen video's of people operating magazine fed weapons and never understood why they tapped the magazine before loading the weapon. I am happy to hear your 15-22 is working well. In the coming days (If I can find a 15-22) I will need to tap some of that knowledge, first thing I want to do when I get this rifle is clean the thing. From what I heard some of these rifles have gunk in the internal workings. I never stripped a weapon and cleaned it so I am going to need some detailed instructions, preferably with pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
I am another happy owner, Put about 400 rounds during my first session from the 500 pack of ****** Thunderbolts I had sitting around to see how the rifle would do with cheap ammo (I wanted to see if I could get it to jam, had to put it through its paces heh). No cleaning during that session other than a couple quick barrel swabs and still no jams even with the dirty ammo. Going to stick with my Yellow Jackets and Mini Mags now that I'm done testing the reliability.
Thats good to hear Topher. It looks like you got one of the good 15-22's. From the beginning I plan on feeding this rifle good ammo, I want to avoid any headaches. I will keep in mind the brands you mentioned.

Last edited by LifeInPa; 10-23-2009 at 06:04 PM.