View Single Post

Old 10-24-2009, 12:25 AM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
Hello, my name is Chris and I am interested in the S&W MP 15-22. I've wanted to get into target shooting for awhile now. Originally I wanted to get an AR-15 (The kind that fires .223) for my first weapon but I thought to myself that might be too ambitious for a first weapon. So for the past few months I weighed my options. Originally I just planned on buying a Ruger 10/22, learn to shoot with this rifle, and eventually get a full blown AR-15. Then someone recommended I get an AR-15 converted to fire .22 LR, sounded like a great idea but I never owned a firearm before and lack the knowledge to make the conversion myself. Not to mention the price, which was more than I wanted to pay for my first rifle.

More recently I have seen dedicated .22 LR made to match the operation and feel of the AR-15, to me this option is very intriguing. The Ruger SR-22 was the first .22 I discovered. However I didn't like that it didn't come with iron sights, and uses a rotary clip instead of a magazine. So I kept on researching and discovered the M&P 15-22. On paper it seemed perfect: Cost under $500, has iron sights standard, has a 25 round magazine standard, simulates the controls/feel of a fully blown AR-15, and it has plenty of places to mount optics, scopes, etc.

So I just wanted to see how the owners of the MP 15-22 feel about this firearm. I have been reading reviews (Both here and the rest of the internet) on the M&P 15-22 and had some mixed findings. Most seem to love the rifle, some though have had problems. I don't know if these problems are early models, current models, or what. My other concern is loading the clip, it seems if you don't do it in a certain manor it might cause the weapon to jam/fail. The final concern I have is the ammo itself, from what I have read if you don't use certain brands (cci minimags or Federal Bulk) the spent casings don't extract properly.

So please feel free to share your experiences/knowledge on this weapon. I don't want to drop $400+ and end up with a dud. Please note I am new to this hobby and only fired a few pistols/rifles so far so I would prefer you keep everything in laymen terms. Thank you.

You mentioned the Ruger. The Ruger is an excellent firearm and has been around for many years. You'll likely never regret owning the Ruger.

In my opinion, the S&W is an excellent toy for accessory rail gadget-heads like myself who like to run thru a few hundred rounds in an afternoon at the range. As a toy, the various issues from magazine problems to feed ramps cracking off of the barrell can be viewed as simple annoyances that S&W will remedy. As a weapon... forget about it. A weapon must go bang everytime.

I paid 439 for the S&W. I have not had so many 'annoyances' as others have suffered, but I would not be surprised if I do as time and rounds go by-- about 1500 so far.

So yes, I would say that the S&W is a good buy for what I use it for.... pound for pound and round for round, it's the most fun I have had with a firearm (uh... I meant toy)