View Single Post

Old 10-25-2009, 06:28 AM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratticus View Post
Attachment 6871
Well, after my range fun today I ran through about 300 more rounds and towards the last 50 or so I had that nasty jam again and had to pry the casing out of the magazine. Check out this pic. It's hard to tell but the round is a little bent.

I had two problems this trip, the other was just a simple failure to feed, which was quick and easy to clear. I'm thinking that my problem is just like what you said, a problem with the magazine. I did give each load a good bump on the bench to get all the rounds lined up and ready. I think that helped reduce the number of problems down to only the two.

Think I should get in contact with customer support? Is it dangerous to have a round catch like that?
I have had that exact problem before. Took a pair of pliars to get the round out of the magazine. Since I have several magazines, I put a piece of masking tape on the end of the mag to let me know I have had a past isssue with that mag. I didn't think it was a big enough issue to contact S&W support about, but I guess you could give them a call.

.22 shooting causes a lot of dirt buildup. It probably does not take a whole lot of fouling to possibly cause something like this to occur. The magazines also get dirty. And we are dealing with some ammo types that cost less than ~.01 each to manufacture. Hard to keep quality control at 100% with such high speed production.

As far as dangerous, I don't know. The rifle can't fire when this isssue occurs. I do wear safety shooting glasses though, at the range.