View Single Post

Old 10-28-2009, 06:44 PM

Liked 285 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakerDan View Post
I don't honestly know of any US LE agency that ISSUES any revolvers
anymore period. Some security gaurd co.s still issue revolvers. The state corrections system here only recently quite issuing 38 revolvers loaded with RNL and 30-30s. Many agencies still allow revolver carry but they are privately owned. I have seen several K frame magnums, a Colt Trooper, and two S&W N frames in LE use in my area. I still carry a wheelgun sometimes and always have a j frame snub for a backup. I do have a M10 and have thought about carrying it just because they are such a nice/light/accurate weapon.
Would be fine for off duty.

Most officers now tend to believe the revolver just doesn't
hold enough ammo to be offensive against today's brand of
turds, but cops have been facing full auto with revolvers
for years. Honestly, I doubt I will carry my wheelgun much
longer even though I really like it and am good enough
with it. 6 in the gun, 12 on the belt, and boxes in the car
is not all that much or fast. Revolvers are just so classic and reliable
though.

The 1986 Miami shootout spelled the end for wheelguns and 9mm
though. Those agents had a few 9mms but mostly revolvers with few speedloaders and boxes of ammo. A revolver loaded with Win SuperX 158 +P LSWCHP ended the fight, but most of those agents had revovlers up against a Mini 14/other long guns. It was interesting though that the revolver shooters aimed while the auto users sprayed and prayed. You cant spray and pray with a wheelgun or you will be in serious trouble.

I do think that Mexico and some foreign countries still issue
the M10 and probably with RNL ammo too.
The problem in the Miami-Dade shootout was not that they used revolvers, but that they took handguns into a heavy artillary fight. It's shot placement that counts in the first place, in the second place, as you noted, policemen have faced killers even more deadly and heavily armed than those two guys such as Bonnie & Clyde, John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, Machinegun Kelly, Prettyboy Floyd (who were armed with even more effective weapons like the BAR or the 50 round Thompson). When police went after these guys, they used their .38s to shoot their way to their Thompsons, .30-30s, Shotguns or BARs and engaged with longguns if they didn't already have their longguns out and ready. (I.E. Texas Ranger Frank Hamer and his Louisiana possee made swiss cheese out of Bonnie & Clyde with BARs or Colt Monitors. Also, the FBI didn't go after Ma Barker and her boys with .38 Official Police revolvers alone they took Thompsons, shotguns, BARs)

I don't personally believe the gunfight would have turned out any different (maybe worse) if they had all been armed with .40 S&W high capacity automatics. It's shot placement that counts, not how many you have.

Last edited by Doug.38PR; 08-31-2013 at 11:16 AM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: