View Single Post

Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM
US Veteran

Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougdeb View Post
If I'm not mistaken (which has been known to happen ), the Federal Protective Service still issues revolvers. I was in a Federal building in Boston a couple of weeks ago for an interview and the FPS officers on the door were all wearing revolvers. I think I saw three Rugers (GP100) and two SW Model 10/64. The FPS is charged with guarding Federal Buildings and Courthouses. The Federal Building in Honolulu, HI (I was living out there till last year) is protected by FPS armed with revolvers. I'm not sure what round they are issued, though I believe based on conversations with a couple of the guards that they use the "FBI load."
Doug
What you saw were contract security guards. We have them at my office building (federal) as well, although they recently transitioned from .38 revolvers to Sig P229's in 9mm. Actual FPS Officers, who are federal law enforcement officers, carry the Sig P229DAK in .40S&W. They transitioned from the SA/DA P229 in .357Sig when the (almost) entire Dept of Homeland Security went to the DAK .40. I did some range time with them during the transition. Secret Service is the only Homeland Security law enforcement entity that has not made the change. They stuck with the SA/DA P229 in .357Sig. As a Firearms Instructor for my agency, I end up providing qualifications for Agents from several different federal agencies, so I get to play with everybody's toys.

The last federal agencies I know to issue wheelguns were the US Marshal Service (they switched to the Glock 22 several years ago) and the US Bureau of Prisons (switched to Ruger semi-autos, I believe).

As to the original OP's question: I ran into a Police Officer from a small north Mississippi town at a training class early last summer. He had been issued a S&W Model 10 but was getting ready to purchase his own sidearm. He told me that he had been unable to afford to purchase his own when he was hired, so he had been issued one of the department's old wheelguns. I can't recall the name of the town, but I can check back on the class roster and see if I can come up with it. It was a tiny department with just a handful of officers.
Gonzo