View Single Post

Old 11-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts

I have been reloading for over 35 years and all of the game that I have taken has been with handloads. I am conservative and tend to stick with loads that are on the moderate side. Two reloading books that I have found very useful over the years are Ken Waters' "Pet Loads" and Midway's " caliber specific spiral bound "Load Books". Pet Loads is very comprehensive covering about any cartridge you'd want to reload, Mr. Waters has been a reloading authority for many years and I have always found his advise to be based on actual field/range experience and sound judgement. I like the midway books because the list most all the lead and jacketed bullets that you'd probably want to load with the exception of the premium performance types. Pressure is listed for the loads and a green,yellow,red color coding helps focus the reloader's attention where a particular load is apt to fall as far as pressure is concerned. As I said at the outset, I start rather low not necessarily with the lowest load listed and when the groups obtained with the load are satisfactory then I go no further. In the three cartridges that I hunt with .257 Roberts, .35 Whelen and .338 Winchester Magnum, moderate loads with bullets constructed for the game intended have never failed to put meat on the table.