View Single Post

Old 11-01-2009, 11:18 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

When I first got into reloading, some 40+ years ago, I was guilty of pursuing those hot high pressure loads that some seem to strive for. After a lifetime of experience (gunsmithing, competitive shooting, and hunting), and coming in contact with those that had "realistic" veiws (like Marksman) of ballistics, firearm construction, and what it takes to bring down game, and seeing both handgun and rifle "blow ups", and the damage they cause not only to the gun, but to the shooter, my attitudes toward those high pressure loadings changed. Many would not think that a 45 ACP would be a very good handgun for deer hunting, but, I managed to take two deer with mine, and it did a fine job! A buddy of mine and fellow competitor used a 44 Special as his deer hunting handgun and had many successful hunts. For personal protection or game up to deer size, not much more is needed, and neither he nor I used "over the top" high pressure loads to get the job done. In my opinion, a load that is suitable for the job at hand...the correct bullet....and the ability to place the bullet in the kill zone or X-ring is all that is needed. No matter how fast a bullet is driven, if it does not hit the "spot" it does no good! Accuracy is the key to success be it paper punching or hunting, and that is what reloading allows the shooter.....an affordable means of custom tailoring accurate ammunition for a specific firearm and purpose.