View Single Post

Old 11-01-2009, 09:48 PM

Liked 36 Times in 10 Posts

Perazzi and Leonard,

I appreciate your responses and I very much agree with both of you.I've seriously considered selling both my 416 Rem and 460 WBY.I will keep my 458 Win because of it's size/efficiency.The purpose behind most of the various 45 wildcats like the Lott was due to poorly constucted factory loads in the Win that resulted in squibb loads and etc.It didn't take well to being stored in hot sheds in Africa,etc and the powder would actually solidifly which damaged it's reputation.In spite of the criticism of the case being shortened,it nonetheless accomplished (as originally conceived)everything the 450 thru 470 Nitro family of cartridges did which is what the Win designers intended.I'm sure that you're aware that the original 450 Nitro,etc class of cartridges had (on average) an "actual"velocity of about 100 to 150 fps less than advertized.The Winchester(although the case size is not impressive),fully equals them when properly loaded.Many don't realize that Jack Lott's reason for necking out the 375 case to 45 was to increase case capacity which made things less problematic in terms of pressure,etc.Stepping the velocity over 2150 fps did not seem to be his reason.My 458 Win loads easily break 2150 with the 500 and within perfectly safe pressures(even in hot temps).

I definately digressed and didn't mean for that paragraph to be so lengthy but it leads to an explanation of why I will keep the 458 Win.When one wants a powerful rifle,he wants larger than 45(in my opinion).I would be very pleased to have and use a 500 Jeffery.