View Single Post

Old 11-02-2009, 02:02 AM

Liked 36 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun 4 Fun View Post
This post is not intended to flame anyone, especially flat top since he and I are friends off forum. I offer the following just to present an opposing view here, but one I have heard many times in my life, and one with which I agree.

I guess I am the minority here maybe, but if I buy a .44 magnum, you can bet I'll be using magnum loads in it. It doesn't hurt a darn thing, and I take exception to the claims to the contrary. Sure they will wear the gun more quickly than a mild load, but few of us ever fire enough rounds in a lifetime with one gun, to wear it out. Why buy a bigger gun, then nueter it with weaker loads than it was designed for?

I use mid-range loads all the time, but when hunting, I use full on loads. If you can't shoot accurately with your gun and it's factory designated load, then you shouldn't even consider taking it to the woods to kill something that you may only wound instead due to poor shooting.

I have no quarrel with those who water down their loads to hunt, but I do get miffed when someone tries to tell me that I am doing damage to my gun by using the load it was designed for, or that it is more than needed. If we followed that logic, we would all be using a sharpened stick fired from a longbow, since it will kill a deer just fine if you stick it in the right place.

This is America, and freedom to choose and use what we want is what makes this country so great.

A VERY BIG DITTO TO THIS!!!!!!!

I use reduced loads for plinking and such.I used to shoot thousands of rounds from 44 magnums every year and less stress was a concern of mine.

I don't want to get into a debate about cast vs jacketed or heavy bullet vs light but I definately use full loads when serious purpose is in mind.When I carry a 357 mag snubby concealed,it is actually a 357 magnum minus the reduction due to the shorter barrel.When I carry a 44 magnum,it is a 44 magnum.

When one makes the argument that X load is good enough,it can be carried to extremes.A 7mm Mauser has killed everything that walks the planet(including elephant and cape buffalo) but I have never understood the concept of only using "just enough".

The numbers and letters rollmarked on a barrel are meaningless if one deliberately loads down.If one chooses to load his 44 magnum as a 44 special,that's perfectly okay but those who load it as originally conceived get a bit tired of hearing talk about the gun blowing up when so used or the power being superficial.