View Single Post

Old 11-02-2009, 09:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdan View Post
Attached are a couple of pics of my Dillon 45ACP expander assembly removed from the die body. These should look familiar. In the second pic, a sized case is inserted up to the belling flare. If you cannot easily push your sized case by hand to this point, your case has been sized down too much. Are you sure that this RCBS sizing die is for 45ACP?

Sounds like the expander assembly is having to "re-size" these cases up, hence the extra effort you are experiencing. As to Federal cases being the most difficult............Are these nickel cases? I have always noticed a little extra effort with these cases. I'd also put a little less bell on those case mouths. I measured a few of mine, and they run about .477-.478. Bell them excessively, and you will have the case mouths dragging on the wall of the die body.

All of this said, I would not use anything but a carbide sizing die for 45ACP. The only info you provide is that these are RCBS dies from the 80's. If it is an old RCBS carbide die that has an issue, give RCBS a call. They stand behind their products.
Voila, an apparent solution to the problem.

Note in the photo, post #18, the diminished diameter of the expander portion over most of it's length. My die is absolutely uniform in diameter the entire length greatly adding to the bearing surface. Thanks to "Engineer1911" (Bob in Atlanta, GA) who was gracious enough to phone me pointing out that his dies are identical to the one in the photo. THANK YOU SIR FOR THE PICTURES.

This post suggest being able to run a shell over the expander portion by hand. "Smith Crazy" Skip in post #32 suggests the same. I have to work hard even with the mechanical advantage of the press to get part way there.

As a result of a phone call to Dillon they sent another funnel/expander die. It's labled "POWDER FUNNEL E PISTOL" Identical to the original one.

My sizer die is an RCBS carbide die for 45ACP.

Thanks all for the help. One hell of a group of good folks here.

Bob