View Single Post

Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 PM

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Default Muzzle Brakes/Porting

I have had several guns with various types of muzzle brakes/porting and usually feel that it is a waste of money. I once bought a S&W Model 19 that a previous owner had Mag-na-ported and he claimed that shooting it with magnum loads was like shooting .38 specials. Well, that turned out to be total BS.
I've had several shotguns with ported barrels and all that seems to accomplish is compaints from other shooters and more difficult cleaning (cleaning patch material gets hung up in the ports).
I personally had two S&W Model 29's, a 1911 style .45 ACP pistol and a Browning Hi-Power Mag-na-ported and could tell no difference from before and after porting. I also owned a Model 629 with the factory Quad-Port and did not find it to be effective.
On the other hand, I have a M-629 from the Performance Center with 7 inch barrel and a removable compensator on the barrel. This one works. I have a stock 629 with full lug 6 inch barrel, and when I compare the two with the same loads, the comped 629 has considerably less muzzle rise. I use this gun for bowling pin matches and do quite well with it.
I also have an IPSC type "Open" gun in .38 Super with a Schumann "jet" barrel and compensator. With really hot "major" IPSC loads, the muzzle of this gun actually is depressed when fired. There is so much high velocity gas produced with this load that the compensation sysytem works very well.
But, let me tell you, it is really loud!!!!! Range officers hate me when I shoot this gun (and the comped 629, too). When shooting these guns, I have to wear double hearing protection (ear plugs and muffs).
In summary, I think that if your load is producing enough high velocity gas, these systems can work. But the down side is excessive noise and a lot of muzzle blast.

- - Buckspen