View Single Post

Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Liked 138 Times in 40 Posts

smith there is no problem I never said that you said it was issued. I was just really surprised Detroit ever even placed an order for .45 revolvers.

A lot of DPD officers including my father bought their own guns. They didn't want the little .38. I know quite a few carried model 25 smiths they liked the reliability of the revolver and the large .45rd .

I talk and or see a few guys that worked or work at DPD firearms sections and the DPD range. I asked why they only ever issued .38's they usually said because everybody could handle them. It surprised most that Detroit had .45's on order at one time and nobody ever remembered seeing them in inventory ( doesn't mean they weren't there).

Detroit has ordered some cool guns early colt semi autos merwin hulberts, winchester 94's they even had walther PPK's " these were DPOA guns ok'd for duty use even though they were .380 . They even have early uzi's full and micro and Gi Thompson's.

The 45's could have very well been another gun they wanted to try out just seamed odd as they always pushed the .38's from the early 1900's up to 1992.

I NEVER said I had a problem with the gun I was just trying to get more info on it for you as Detroit has records back to gun #1 of what they were where they went and who they went to. They don't give info to non Dept personnel to my knowledge.

I don't like asking friends to check stuff for other people but if it is a weird gun like yours it gets me interested to see how many Detroit had and where they might have went to now. It also is interest sometimes like my Merwin Hulbert was sold to a hardware store for $6 in the early 1900's.

Oh well for trying to get somebody some extra info on a off the wall DPD marked gun