View Single Post

Old 11-06-2009, 12:48 AM

Liked 2,939 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-moa View Post
Typed up an eloquent and complete response to your question earlier, but upon hitting "Post" it disappeared ...

Short answer...If it really is "Mint" as described and is boxed w/ spare magazine and paperwork, $800 is a very good price.

Its brother is for sale on GunRobbe...I mean GunBroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=145485753 right now.

Off the top of my head, it looks like a post war "French" machined, "West German" finished and Ulm proofed, Interarms import. If the boxes are the same, it was probably imported in the '70s...older boxes were reddish "alligator" while later boxes were black plastic. They were produced for Walther by Manurhin from '54 thru '85 and have a serial number suffix of LR. There are minor variations to the markings, but the serial number should appear on the right side of the slide (below ejection port) and vertically behind the trigger guard on the frame. You'll also find a post war "Eagle over N" proof" on some combination of frame, slide and/or barrel hood. Check the frame below the ejection port for the Ulm Proofhouse "antler" proofmark and a two digit date such as 75 for 1975. BTW, on .32s/.380s these markings are on the barrel hood. Likely with .22s is a two letter date code instead of two digits, but in the same location(s). The date code would begin with the capital letters H (for 7) or I (for 8) followed either A (0)/B (1)/C (2)/D (3)/E (4)/F (5) etc...Example: IF = '85...

BTW, the PP was first introduced in '29 followed by the PPK in '31 and finally the PPK/s in '68. Sooooo, though PP models appeared before PPK models, your PP is about 40 years late to be considered a "pre PPK gun" ...

Beware though...If there is a Collector/Accumulator bone in your body be prepared for an addiction ...

Best of luck with your new purchase
I don't mean to hijack Papa's thread, but the timing is uncanny, and 'sub-moa' looks to know his "PP stuff"... I just came across a .32 pre-war 'crown N' marked PP that is being offered at $650. I'm guessing here, but I'd say it's in 80%+ condition. Decent blueing, but overall kind of thining; some holster wear, good grips, good bore, some very light surface rust in various areas of the gun, and wear on the back strap. It's just the gun, and what looks to be a police holster. It had a beautiful slide action, and very nice trigger. What do you think of this deal...?

Papalondog, the one you are looking at sounds like a nice NIB piece, probably not easy to come by in that condition, so $800 is probably not a bad price; good luck...

DMAR

Last edited by dmar; 11-06-2009 at 12:53 AM.