View Single Post

Old 11-08-2009, 01:20 PM

Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts

Hello Rezaff,
I agree with most of what is said above, it is a nice old Smith. I just don't agree about getting a factory letter for it. I mean no disrespect to raveneap at all. I know how exciting it can be to find an old treasure. But, what a factory letter will get you with that gun is the exact date it ws shipped ( you already have the month and year) and who it was shipped to. With 99.9% of the old antiques from the 1880s and 1890s, the shipment was to one of the big distributers in NY, Shuler Hartley & Graham or MW Robinson Co. O K I admit, a few went to the big distributer in Chicago, Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co . When I first started pulling in as many of the old smiths as my greedy, grasping old gun safe could hold, I too sent for letters on the old ones. At some point one of the long time collectors advised me that for instance in this case S&W manufactured a couple of hundred thousand of this model. Unless it is a rare or special order variation, all of the letters will say the same thing. I bought many letters on guns like this several years ago. Believe me I been there, done that, got the tee shirt. I feel that a much better use of that $50 would be to join the Smith & Wesson Collectors Association. You then have easy access to Roy Jinks and shipping information, and a huge knowledgable network of cooperative and friendly Smith & Wesson enthusiasts. To me that's your best bang for the buck. Sorry to break into this thread, but I see this often and felt compelled to force my opinion on you.
cflier