View Single Post

Old 11-08-2009, 08:20 PM

Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Default 38 +P+ 110gr JHP Treasury Ammo Test

As most of you who read any of my posts know, I am not really a fan of light 38s and have heard terrible anecdotes about the Treasury load. I generally use the 38+P+ 147 LEO. However, since reading about armsmaster 270's story about his encounter with an armed subject and how the "T" load saved his life, I decided to test them out for velocity and penetration. Winchester still makes the round in the Ranger LE line, but my Treasury Ammo is the vintage 1983 thing.

Test Gun: S&W Model 28-2 4"

Winchester: Ammo in white and red 50 round boxed marked 38 Special 110gr JHP for Law Enforcement Only with the US treasury dept. specs. and the back. 15% Overpressure

Headstamped 83 WCC +P+
Velocity: 1068fps
Penetrated 2 of the 1 gallon size milk jugs filled with water and was found wedged between #2 and #3 jug. Smooth energy transfer between the jugs.
Expanded to .55

Federal
Headstamped FC LE
Velocity 998fps
Pentrated only 1 of the 1 gallon jugs and barely into the plastic quart size milk jug behind it. Energy transfer occured in the first jug and made a huge water spray. Expanded to .56

Both slugs only peeled backed to the jacket mouth and stopped. Good thing it has a lot of exposed lead or it would not expand at all.

The Treasury Load was carried by the Border Patrol from 1980 until it was pulled from service in 1984. Many law enforcement agencies issued or authorized its use including the Cali Hwy Patrol. The "other" duty load at the time was the W-W or Remington 38+P LSWC-HP commonly known as the FBI load. It was carried by the FBI, and Dallas TX PD to name a few.

It might appear that this load might be ok for home defense against a small target, but this load based on my test takes the cake for being a poor police duty load due to lack of tactical penetration. I know some will disagree strongly and I can understand as some have used it and it worked. It was certainly better than the 158 RNL that many agencies replaced with the "T" Load.

Anyone who carried the round or used it please feel free to chime in.
I am open minded and know that milk jugs and chronographs dont simulate the real world on the street. If you liked/disliked it -let me know please. Also, anyone who can post photos of this stuff would be appreciated as well as I have only one box to compare to.

Last edited by BreakerDan; 11-08-2009 at 08:29 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: