View Single Post

Old 11-08-2009, 08:53 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default T load

I have carried both as well as chrono tested both. First your Federal velocity is way below anything I have ever seen except when fired from a j frame snub with the 1 7/8 barrel. Between the two my testing of different lots over the years shows lows around the 1068 you got but from 4 in 38's not 357's and highs up to around 1180. The last test I did had the Winchester at 1076 from a 3in magnum sp101 and the Federal at 1068. I find that usually the Winchester is a hair faster. In the shootings we had with the loads both worked well from snubs but the Federal had a tendency to fragment badly when fired from 4in or longer barrels.......something the Winchester did not do. The Federal also couldnt penetrate a car door at all. Keep in mind that Federal seemed to change that bullet every year and I believe that the FC LE headstamp ended in 1980-1981. My original issue was the federal in 1980 stamped FC LE and the bullet was not skived and had less exposed lead than later production. The remainder of the Federal I have is marked FC and the last 2 digits of the year...ie FC 85 etc. Funny thing with this load is a lot of people who used it loved it and I know many who got one shot stops and many were fatal. The Border Patrol used the Federal version for a short time and were less than thrilled. It is a load that many people swear by and the rest swear at.