View Single Post

Old 11-14-2009, 04:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Visited the range today, and the news is good.

Today I took the rifle out and put 450 rounds through it. It worked beautifully. The only two minor problems I had was one bullet getting stuck in the bore which was quickly cleared, and the gun started jamming when my father used it. The people in charge saw how he was firing it and it was jamming because of user error. He was firing the gun from a sitting position and putting pressure on the magazine, causing the ammo not to feed properly. Due to this we will likely invest in sand bags in the near future, or maybe a bi-pod.

So now the reliability is where it should be, with just one failure caused by a bad round. Big difference we noticed while firing the rifle this time was with how much force the casings were being expelled from the rifle. So much in fact the casings were ricocheting off the wall next to us and smacking us in the head. Good thing we had eye protection, one of the casings hit me in my brow. My father got one in his hair and his neck, the casings were hot but we didn't get burned. I know now S&W fixed or modified this rifle because I don't remember the rifle doing this before which might have been why the casings got caught in the bolt.

On accuracy this rifle is just great. Me and my father are just novices this being only the second rifle we ever operated but we were tearing up the targets from 20 and 30 yards. All shots were in the target area with most near to the center or dead on. This was done with the standard iron sights. We adjusted the rear sights up one more notch and we noticed improved accuracy.

After the day was over we ran into one of my fathers friends who was talking to the president of the local gun club. He was interested in our firearm since he wanted to purchase one. I told him the whole story and how I was impressed with the rifle after getting it back from S&W. Now he wants us to join the club so he can get a chance to fire our sweet rifle.

So long story short I am very happy with this rifle now. Due to the good experiences with this rifle and the invitation to this local gun club we have decided to buy another S&W product probably in the next month. The M&P .40 pistol. I was admiring it from reviews I read online and I really wanted it when I saw it in Gander Mountain. So with luck I will be buying it next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_jit View Post
I think the ejector is the thin long piece with hook that sticking out from barrel/chamber end.
photocourtesy of gunblast.com
Oh I am familiar with that piece, nothing really looked like it was changed or adjusted.

Last edited by LifeInPa; 11-14-2009 at 07:01 PM.