View Single Post

Old 11-16-2009, 12:16 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

A good gun is a terrible thing to lose!!! But, I will tell you that Smith and Wesson should be complimented for taking care of you as best they did...good customer service. Sometimes I think that the manufacturers spec parameters are just too tight for handguns. Many years ago when I was a competitive benchrest shooter, they used to torque those barrels into the actions like nobodies business..until they found out it wasnt necessary. About 25 ft lbs if I remember correctly was all it took to do the job (this allowed competitors to change caliber using a simple barrel clamp and action fixture....not an 8 foot breaker bar!!!). I think in the case of a handgun, lining up the front sight to its relationship with the reciever takes precedence over the torque that is applied to the threads and action....which stresses the assembly To do it correctly very fine fitting practices need to be adhered to, and I guess in the world of mass manufacturing that is not possible. I hope that you find the barrel of your choice and get that gun back to its original status....and if you do, I would have somebody that would take thier time install the barrel without maximum stress!