View Single Post

Old 11-17-2009, 02:03 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 633 Times in 152 Posts
Default The 624 Cylinder Mystery

Here's my two cents worth, based on what I've been able to research:

I have a 624 with box, no red "C" on the box. The cylinder has an "F", but I'm told that this has nothing to do with the supposed cylinder issue.

I emailed Roy Jinks about the steel used in the cylinder in February of 2008 and he sent me two replies:

"The cylinder problem was the fact that some cylinders had long charge holes and you could chamber the .44 Magnum round in the cylinder. So it is an easy check. If the gun will chamber the .44 Magnum round then it has one of the cylinders that was affected. if it does not chamber the round then you are okay. You will still be okay as long as you shot only .44 Specials out of the revolver."

I replied to Roy that I had heard that there was a batch of stainless steel which was not to spec. Roy replied:

"Believe what you want to, but it was my project and I certainly do not remember a problem with the stainless steel for the cylinders."

Now think about this: If S&W were to recall revolvers to have their cylinders checked, wouldn't it make more sense to mark the cylinder or revolver rather than stamping a red circled "C" on the box?!? What if the box got lost or was no longer available?!?
Peter #2091
The Following 2 Users Like Post: