Thread: MODEL 59 DEVEL?
View Single Post

Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 AM

Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model39 View Post
I collect Model 39's, and naturally had to buy some DEVELS. I have a letter from the late DEVEL owner Charlie Kelsey which states exactly how many of each type of Smith Model 39's and 59's were produced. There are exactly 234 Full House Model 59 DEVEL conversions out there somewhere. I own number 13. There are also 318 Full House Model 39's out there. I own number 128. That's it.
Having been a patrol deputy sheriff for over 20 years, I became fascinated with the DEVEL concept, as back in my day you either carried a Colt Lightweight Commander (I still have mine), or a "J" frame (mine was a Model 60) off duty. Having an option of a compact
9MM with the custom features was really neat.
Charlie lead the way for the developement of all the great little semi's out there today. I believe that is why the value of these guns is so high.
Wayne Novak has by far the largest DEVEL collection. (You can see them on display on his website..Novak Sights). Wayne has told me that there will be a book written about the DEVELS, and I'm sure that will drive up the interest and values alot. I would suggest if you want one buy it. I would not part with mine.
Didn't Charlie Kelsey die under somewhat suspicious circumstances a few years ago? I believe the official ruling was suicide, but his family and friends claim he was murdered and the scene set up to look like a suicide. Something like that. That's one of those things that makes the DEVELs even more collectable - there certainly won't be any more!