View Single Post

Old 11-19-2009, 08:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking H110/W296 Observations

I know that H110 and W296 are the same powder. I have spoken to Hodgdon and been reassured about this by Mike in their technical support department. So, in essence I'm not questioning that at all. I am going to do some testing on my own and see what transpires.

Not a real fan of H110. I have had an aversion to the muzzle flash it produces, I think it is cool but might cause some of us to increase "flinching".

It isn't as noticeable in the carbine venue though and that is what I am trying to develop loads for.

My load is a 200gr LRNFP cast from a Lee mold that is "semi-hard". I mix some Linotype in with the wheel-weights and used a White Label lube on them.

They chamber like a dream.

My load was 26gr of H110 under this bullet with a Wolf Large Magnum pistol primer.

I got these results:
Average velocity: 1905fps ES 51 and SD 22. The temperature was 44*F with a slight rain/mist.

Accuracy was exceptional for shooting lead to these velocities. Because the bullet fit the barrel so well and the pressure/hardness relationship seemed to match, leading was not a factor. Two patches with Ed's Red and the lead that was in there came right out. No melted lead or anything.

Well, back on subject. Our local reloading supply store was out of H110 and I ran out before getting enough bullets for stock. I went to get more and had to settle with W296.

I went to load up some bullets and still had the powder measure set for the H110 load. The first thing I noticed was the difference in volume/weight ratio. The W296 was a bit less dense, it weighed much less for the same amount of volume. About .8gr! I thought that was weird since they are supposed to be exactly the same.

Well, now all I have to do is go to the range with them, probably Friday night or Saturday!

I'm wondering if anyone else has done any kind of test like this!

What say you?