View Single Post

Old 11-20-2009, 06:57 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

We had heard stories like this 35 years ago or so, and found that like charge settings produce approximately the same ballistics with 296 and 110. Unless something has changed in one or both of those powders, I would suspect that still holds true. Of course for safety's sake, ALWAYS back off and work back up, when any component is changed........The reason you are getting some muzzle flash is because the lighter bullet is offering less resistance to the charge....These two powders are really designed for the heavier bullets at near max charge rates. Regardless of the type of powder being used, to allow the charge to burn more completely in the bore, add resistance by increasing neck tension on the bullet, and/or applying an increased crimp on the bullet. We had found that even with mid range loads, that this improves standard of deviation, or ballistic uniformity, and of course accuracy as well. Again, when this is done, you will need to back off and work your charge back up...Safety First!........Also, over the years, we had found that for top end magnum pistol case loads (I take it that you are talking about the 44 Magnum here), that CCI 350 magnum primers have produced the best results....they brisance at a high rate and produce a cleaner burn of the powder charge...We tested these when they first came out, and their performance was a great improvement over other brands utilizing "like" powders............What kind of carbine are you speaking of here....a levergun? If so what type...and, why are you working with such a light bullet in it....CAS? Well, I am off to hunt deer...later!