View Single Post

Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Duh!

OK, not the sharpest tool in this shed!

Yes, I am loading for a 44Mag, Marlin 1894 CS (Cowboy Special) with Ballard rifling.

I appreciate the caution about working back up on a load but this one is already at the bottom of any data. As you know, W296/H110 loads shouldn't be reduced much if any. But, once again, thanks for the warning.

As for primer type, the Wolf Large Magnum Pistol primers work about like the Winchester Large pistol primers when used with 2400. I have already done tests in that area. I will have to see about getting some CCI primers, but not sure if they are available in our area.

As for bullet selection, I cast my own. I have a H&G #503 mold (250gr Keith bullet) that casts a bit small for these rifles as they are known to have "generous" bore sizes. The quickest way for me to remedy that size issue was to go to our local reloading supply store and pick up a mold. I did and this is what they had. It is a Lee so relatively inexpensive, at least not cost prohibitive to my test!

Another thing about bullet selection is that I am a terrible judge of distance. I probably need a range finder and will get one before venturing into the deer woods. The flatter trajectory is appealing and could be used on smaller animals too. Nothing wrong with having several loads for different jobs.

Right now I have several jacketed loads for this rifle BUT as I am "tight as bark on a tree", I want to develop a bullet that shoots reasonably well that I make myself.

The jacketed load is a proven performer. I have several friends that have used it successfully this year and prior in the deer woods. One fellow took a buck about 15 minutes into season and a doe later that same day!

I hope that clears up some of your questions and please feel free to solicit others!

Hope you read this real late today, like after you hang, skin and butcher your reward from the field!