View Single Post

Old 11-21-2009, 06:45 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Tell; I always use gas checks on my bullets. I used to leave them off on low velocity rounds, and the bullets shot very well. There are differing opinions on when to use gas checks, but I have been told (and, there are many opinions on this) that anywhere from 900 to 1200 fps is the top end velocity for a plain base bullet, but I would think that a plain base could go a bit more...depending on the alloy, and of course its diameter in relation to the bore diameter (a proper fitting bullet). Anyway, when you go beyond that a gas check is suggested. It has gotten to the point that I just gas check all my bullets, or order them that way. I have not noticed any problems by using them in lighter loads. I would still think, that if your bullet diameter is correct for the bore diameter...and, you have a gas checked bullet that your groups would tighten up considerably with the proper load. Another aid to accuracy is "crimping" Over the years, I have become very fond of the Lee Factory Crimpers. I used to make my own "taper crimpers", but Lee has taken the work out of that issue. I have found that gradually increasing the crimp on a bullet with a taper crimper will result in changes in accuracy...and almost every time for the better. I dont use the roll crimper that is incorporated within the die set. I use the Lee's or my own, and making crimping a seperate step.