View Single Post

Old 11-22-2009, 02:50 PM
US Veteran

Liked 33,810 Times in 5,282 Posts

My FBI Suburban has wig-wags in the headlights, a siren under the hood somewhere, a red/blue LED thing on the passenger side visor that flips down, and another LED thing in the back window. The back window thing is great for tailgaters.

I rarely use them anymore, though. I've learned that whoever is dead will still be dead when I get there. Most people don't notice the light or hear the siren until you're right behind them, then they slam on the brakes. If I need to get somewhere fast I just drive fast, yield at red lights, and turn on all the reds and blues once I get there since everybody else does.

I don't make traffic stops in my unmarked rig. If it becomes necessary to make a felony stop I call for a marked unit. I tell my wife and kids not to stop for unmarked vehicles (though they should yield to them) and call 911 if an unmarked car is trying to stop them.

I haven't seen anyone use a Kojak light in years. I hated them, since they plug into the cigarette lighter and if you put it on the driver's side the cord is right in your face or across the wheel. You can stick them on the dash, but unless you have metal plate there for them to stick to they slide all over the place.

Last edited by sigp220.45; 11-22-2009 at 02:56 PM.