View Single Post

Old 11-23-2009, 08:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New MP15-22 - Feeding/Extraction Issues?

Hi all,

New to the forum, but not new to S&W firearms. Have a few .38 revolvers and a 4506 and they've all been great to me.

I picked up a new MP15-22 last Friday from Academy since I've been in the market for a .22. Took it out yesterday to the range and had mixed results. My serial number is: DTExxx. Is this a newer model or one form the initial run?

I had some issues with it, but I think there may be TWO separate problems here and wanted input from y'all that have experience with this rifle.

1) Had some issues with FTF where the round didn't chamber and the case was bent/dented. After reading here, I believe this issue is probably me not carefully loading the magazine and the rounds probably got crushed because they weren't angled up high enough to properly chamber.

2) Had a few issue with FTF where the round attempting to get chambered kind of flipped and the rim got stuck in the magazine lips. I'm thinking this may be due more to the 'extraction' issue than me improperly loading the mags.

What do you folks think? I'm guessing #1 will be resolved by careful loading of the mags, but #2 is more likely caused by the extractor not working properly?

I currently only have the one magazine that came with the rifle, but I ordered four more from S&W. Not sure whether to try to take it to the range again now or wait until I get the new mags to try them all out at once.

I really like this rifle and hate to have to send it back already if it's just me not loading the mags correctly. Not sure if both of my problems above could be caused by improper laoding of the magazines or if it's more likely the extractor/ejector causing the second problem.

If it's the ejector causing one of them, I'm not sure whether to try to adjust it myself or send it back to S&W. I'm a left handed shooter and if this thing fires OOB, it's going to blow right in my face. I really want to like this rifle and it was fun to shoot when it functioned fine, but I'm kind of leary about it right now.

I was shooting all CCI Mini Mags. Had the rounds get stuck in the feed lips of the mag three times in 200 rounds and I'm guessing about 5 bents ones. I've seen people here with much worse results, but I still think a $500 rifle should function better than that. Plus I'm very pleased with my other S&W firearms and didn't expect these kind of issues with their reputation.

Should I try to polish the feed ramp and adjust the ejector or should I take it to Academy and have them send it back?

Thanks for any advice. Until I get my supressor, I can't really shoot in my back yard, so it's kind of a pain having to tweak things and make a range visit each time to test.

Regards

Last edited by score69; 11-23-2009 at 09:42 AM.