View Single Post

Old 11-25-2009, 04:38 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts

I've never used Mt. Baldy bullets, so I don't know much about them. Is the bullet you are using a true Keith design with a flat base, or is it a pseudo-Keith bullet that many commercial cast outfits sell that have a bevel base? I've found that bevel base bullets ALWAYS lead. (Hot gas gets in between the beveled base and the barrel and melts the edge of the base depositing it on your barrel.) Flat base bullets usually don't lead if they are of the proper diameter, proper hardness (softer if you are pushing them slow, and harder if you are pushing them fast) and have a good (meaning SOFT) lube. Lube that seems like a hard wax (crayon-like) usually doesn't work very well. Also, are you SURE that the stuff you are seeing in your barrel is lead? I've known people who have mistaken lube streaks in the barrel for leading. Like someone else in this thread said, if your cylinder throats are smaller than your barrel diameter, you are going to have an awful hard time getting your gun to not lead unless you open your cylinder throats up to groove diameter or 0.001" larger. Also, how smooth is your barrel? Some guns with lots of tooling marks in the barrel tend to lead. If this is the problem, you can try fire-lapping your barrel.

Last edited by whelenshooter; 11-25-2009 at 04:44 AM.