View Single Post

Old 11-25-2009, 08:33 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Bearcat: Most (not all) revolvers will lead the barrel the first few inches of rifling. This is caused by the torqueing of the barrel into the reciever. The torqueing (stress) creates a restriction in the bore of .0001 to as much as .005 in some guns just beyond the forcing cone. Also, roll engraving (warning stamps, logos and such), and areas where sights are mounted, dovetails cut, etc, can cause the same types of restrictions. This is normal to the manufacture of most guns. I shoot only cast bullets at mid range to higher velocities. If I have a barrel that is exhibiting leading, I usually hand lap or firelap the barrel, but, keep in mind that all the information stated by others (above) is also necessary to cast bullet accuracy and reduced leading. If you go to: beartoothbullets.com, you can contact Marshall Stanton. He has put together a firelapping kit with explicit instructions. I have used this kit on a number of occasions with excellent results. I sure saves time, and one heck of a lot of elbow grease!!! The only other alternative is to shoot a FMJ type of bullet. Sierra makes a very nice fully jacketed truncated cone 44 bullet of 250 grains that would perform very well for the purpose you are looking for, and would act just as a hard cast does when meeting flesh and bone....one big hole in...one big hole out! Good Luck!