View Single Post

Old 11-25-2009, 09:08 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

tlen; You are correct...gas checks are an indespenable aid to accuracy with cast bullets, and, Fryxell's articles are well worth the read for those that are "serious" about using cast bullets in their guns. Also a good source for cast bullet info is Veral Smith, and Richard Lee. A stop by two websites: Beartooth Bullets, and Montana Bullet Works will also yield a great deal of information on what it takes to get a cast bullet to shoot well.

The groundwork was done years ago, and there is no reason that anyone cannot get cast bullets to shoot in thier guns, as long as the gun is suitable for the job, and the bullets are suitable for the velocities that they are being pushed. I have a rifle that pushes a 325 grain slug at 2200 fps. The accuracy is impecable, and there is not one hint of leading. I shoot nothing but cast bullets in my 44 magnums, and again the accuracy is excellent, and leading (if any) is so minimal, that a stroke or two with a brass brush is all that is needed to clean the bore. I set my guns up for cast bullets, and all I shoot is cast bullets.

This is not rocket science...there is a step by step procedure to getting it right and if it is followed you cannot get it wrong! When every thing comes together, it is a beautiful thing to behold!!!