View Single Post

Old 11-27-2009, 12:33 AM

Liked 9,100 Times in 3,366 Posts

The pre-war guns had cast receivers. Don't recall if the post war guns did or not. If you frequent enough gunshows & shops you've probably seen the brilliant purple/red color of a hot salt reblued cast receiver Savage 22 pump.
I have a Meriden Arms made and marked version around here somewhere. Meriden went under in 1918 so the design has been around for a while. Meriden used Savage patents for this and a pump 12ga shotgun also. The Savage shotgun pat. is from 1912 IIRC and I don't think Savage ever produced the gun after Meriden folded.

The cast receiver can wear out quicker than a forged one. I've seen some that have but I'd gather it was an awful lot of use and at least some abuse and poor maintainance with corrosive ammo of the times that contributed to it.

They are sleek classic 22 pumps and if in good condition make nice shooters. Critical parts can be hard to come by if you need them. Unless it's something really special like NIB with papers, etc, they should be bought for less than a comparable Rem or Win of the same era.