View Single Post

Old 11-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat74 View Post
The bullseye load was commercial cast over 5-6grs, both shot good until leading, bullet was a 240gr SWC. It was a plinker and a favorite of Elmer Keith. Velocity didn't matter because it was going to be a paper masher. I figured it leaded the least because it was slow.

The Mt. Baldy bullets were rated to 1500fps 11BHN with no gas check, that is from the maker. I was wanting 1000-1100fps, no need to go crazy. I figure when I worked my way up to 20grs of 2400 that would certainly be in that range, or better. Mt. Baldy recommended 10grs of Unique or 20-21grs of 2400.

The 6grs of 2400 was to simply push a bullet out of the barrel so it would be slugged and I would not have to dig deep into the books to get it back, no way in the world was that for anything but that one slug.

I have a Speer, Hornady, 2 Noslers, a Lee, and a Sierra manual, I have went to the powder manufactures websites, I have contacted bullet companies all for load data. Plus, reading online for loads.
You can NOT slug a barrel by firing a bullet thru it. The bullet will expand slightly on leaving the muzzle as well as impact. To accurate slug a bore, drive a soft, lubricated lead ball or oversize fishing sinker down the bbl. from the muzzle, carefully w/ a brass rod. Measure the wides part, that is your groove dia. Then have the chamber throats lapped to match or just slightly, 0.001" smaller. Size your cast bullets or buy them 0.001" over your groove/throat size. I size my 44s to 0.430". Even cast using 50/50 ww/lead mix, about 10BHN, they will run to 1200fps w/o any appreciable leading.