View Single Post

Old 11-29-2009, 10:32 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

.........at 2.00 per hundred extra (and that would be from a bullet manufacturer....you could do it for less, I believe), I would think that the performance would out weigh the cost. For low end loads a PB is just fine, but, when you start pushing 1000 fps and beyond, the GC sure proves its worth. A buddy of mine was a cast bullet competitor, and had pushed some PB hunting loads to 1850 out of one of his rifles, but, the rifle was modified to shoot cast only, and the bullets alloyed up in the 20+ BHN range...if my memory serves me. The bullets were not brittle though....they were "tough"! That was probably over 35 years ago or so....he has long since passed on, and I dont know what his "secret" alloy was...I was not a cast bullet shooter at the time, but the accuracy and hunting performance of the bullet was one of the things that got me into using cast only in all of my big bore handguns and leverguns...........As a little test, I would like to see somebody shoot a PB and a GC (same bullet) with the same load, in a rifle or handgun and see if anything improves. My experience is that over 1000 fps (I dont shoot anything slower than that), that the GC definately improves ballistic uniformity (chrono), and reduces leading in guns that are not set up for lead only...everything else being equal. I was out at the range yesterday and testing some loads that myself and a couple of buddies are working on (a 405 grain, 1000 fps load for 44 mag revolvers), and had the opportunity to shoot some 250 PB's and GC's at a tad over 1000 fps out of my customized Ruger Super Blackhawk. After I shot the PB's ( and cleaned all the lead out of the barrel), I shot the same number of GC's, and leading was very minimal.....although the accuracy between the two was fairly close (which would be expected at that velocity), with the GC doing a bit better overall. The PB lost accuracy as the leading in the barrel increased, but I would say that the first 5 round groups from each were just about the same. after that, the GC's held group size and the PB's started to deteriorate group size............all interesting stuff.