View Single Post

Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 AM

Liked 296 Times in 189 Posts

I've owned a number of Italian Colt clone BP revolvers.

They are prone to issues with parts breakage, and the internal parts are rather crudely made.

The Colt single action design itself was prone to small parts breakage. Notably the bolt/trigger spring, and the hand spring, plus the hand itself. All parts that tend to break on the clones.

Something that makes the parts breakage issue worse is the fact that there isn't much parts interchangeability between manufacturers versions of the guns. Seemingly every maker's version differing in internal geometry!

I have a Pietta stainless Remington clone, and it has been the best BP revolver by far. No mechanical issues with it, and it's internal parts seem way better made than any of the Colt clone's internals.

What to do with a broken Colt clone BP revolver? I've been making my own small parts as needed. Simply because I can machine a hunk of hardened keystock into a better/tougher part than the crude cast pieces the Italian makers are using.

I've made triggers, bolt springs, hands and hand springs, welded and recut hammer notches too.

I have not seen a decent percussian Colt clone! My wife bought me a Pietta .36 Navy back in the 1990's and it had issues from the box(should have sent it back to Cabela's). Very poorly fitted. Then I got a stainless Pietta Remington clone, and it's much, much better made! Can't explain that....almost like the Remington clone came from an entirely different factory that cared about quality.

I can't say if everybodys Remington clones are as good, because the Pietta is the only one I have owned or messed with.

I had heard the Uberti clones were the best of the Italian made guns. And they were the makers of the second generation Colt percussian revolvers, or at least the parts.

I have noted that Uberti's overall quality has improved greatly on the Clone single action army revolvers they make. To the point that they redesigned the hand spring and hand in these guns.

The guns are fun and cheap to shoot, and they can be very accurate with a bit of work on the sights. However I can't say much good about the internal parts! I pickup a broken clunker every so often as a parts gun, or to tinker back to functional, and even guns of the same make really are not interchangeable!

The Colt clone guns have probably sold a bunch of Ruger Old Army revolvers.