View Single Post

Old 11-30-2009, 01:24 PM

Liked 5,205 Times in 2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcockayne View Post
Got the chamber reamer, reamed the chamber, added a chamber peep hole, polished all rough spots. Put it together and fired 200 rounds through the barrel. Both the .40 SW and the re-chambered 9mm (now 357 sig) show identical wear marks. The firing characteristics are very close to each other.
Just for the record, when I got close to the proper depth I cut and measured very frequently. I also reassembled the slide with a dummy round and measured the clearance until it matched the 40 barrel. The modification took around 6 hours total. The results were worth it.
CONGRATULATIONS!
I have been hoping to get a report on how the project went. I know of 3 people that tried the conversion with aftermarket barrels and had problems, never getting past a jam or two every box.
I have always wondered whether it was a fundamental problem or the need for more precision and hand fitting.
If someone asks me about this again, I can refer them to your post: "Can be done, but you need to know what you are doing and be prepared to invest 6 hours of careful work."