View Single Post

Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 PM

Liked 200 Times in 106 Posts

I am particularly fond of the earlier vintage M/63's, the buttstock had a really classic shape with a nicely shaped and defined comb to the stock. The later ones had the stock lines sort of blurred in the interest of ease of manufacture I guess. I picked up my shooter M/63 at a gunshow several years ago, the finish was kinda trashed but hey it only cost me $350.00 OTD. I had the metal reblued without excessive polishing, refinished the stock with a classic hand rubbed oil finish and added checkering in a classic Winchester point pattern. I made a rather unique one piece scope mount for it, the rings and base are all one part and the attaching screws are in the bottom half of the rings. When atached to the rifle the are no visible screws, a Redfield 3/4" 4X scope completes the package. I take it to the range most every trip, everyone loves to shoot it it's the rare trip where it doesn't go thru a carton of ammo. It would be one of the last .22's that I would sell. I also have an early vintage M/61 with checkered steel buttplate that I have similarly checkered and scoped. Both these rifles come from back in the day when you could find worn examples to customize for reasonable prices, i believe that the M/61 also was purchased for $350.00.