View Single Post

Old 12-09-2009, 06:40 PM

Liked 9,146 Times in 3,378 Posts

Last time out with the Model 8 in 30cal.
This was 5 rounds at 50yrds, elbow rested off a bench. My reloads, 150gr RNSP (30-30 bullets) and a min load of IMR4895 (can't recall the exact load here but it's around 31 or 32gr.)
Functions the action perfectly. Ejects the emptys up and over my left shoulder and they land just behind me maybe 2 or 3 ft back (rt handed shooter).

The Winchester ammo in the pic was obtained w/the rifle,,actually 3 boxes of it. I shot up this box and have been using the brass for reloading.
The rifle is a late vintage Model 8,,1930's somewhere,,can't recall the exact year but the screw attachment for the safety lever is a giveaway for a late rifle.

The factory rounds shot about 3" high at 50Yrds IIRC. These reloads are a nice easy load both on the rifle and me.
Now that I'm down to less than 10 of the 150gr bullets I'll probably try something else. Maybe some cast bullets. I have some 110gr spire point jacketed also that may get a trial too.
Fun rifle to shoot. I have to get back on the stock a bit to focus on the sites OK but it's still comfortable. A problem alot of older shooters have I guess. A nice Lyman peep site would solve that in a hurry.

Have to get the 32 going too but the cold and snow doesn't make for much fun loading the rifle & searching for brass.
It needs a new stock anyway as someone clipped a fraction of an inch off the butt for some reason. A replacement and alteration to early style swept pistol grip will be a good winter project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rem830.JPG (48.3 KB, 617 views)

Last edited by 2152hq; 12-09-2009 at 06:47 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: