View Single Post

Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 PM

Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts

The .22 Magnum Rimfire is obsoleted by the .17 This-and-Thats just as the Ultra-Sooper-Short-Magnum cartridges have obsoleted all other centerfire ammo -- it ain't happening.

The gun rag articles are nothing but infomercials, and anything "new" is touted far and wide. The sheer volume of press coverage of new cartridges and the firearms in which they are chambered always overshadows the time-proven cartridges and firearms. You don't hear much about the 30-30 in the gun rags, but that doesn't mean millions of leverguns and Savage boltguns have been retired or scrapped. Tens of thousands of dead eastern whitetail annually would attest otherwise.

E.G.; The .327 Magnum. Touted as the best thing since sliced bread, with "Magnum performance" in a round with less recoil, I've seen THREE revolvers chambered for this round in the past couple years, and ONE box of ammo.

W.R.T. the availability of the .22 Magnum, I can buy probably 4000-6000 rounds between two stores in one town near me, and more if I include Wal-Mart. The 22 Magnum is still quite popular in this part of north central PA, despite the price of about $9-$11 a box of 50 in stores. MUCH higher priced at gun shows in PA and eastern OH in my observation. Of course, what ISN'T priced higher at gun shows these days?

The days of the 22 Magnum are far from over. It is widely used in these parts for small game and wild turkey. I have a Winchester 9422M levergun, a Ruger 9622M levergun, and a 640K Mossberg boltgun in 22WMR and even though I no longer hunt and would not part with these zippy little tackdrivers.

JMO,

Noah