View Single Post

Old 12-16-2009, 01:25 AM

Liked 2,938 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotteddog View Post
What OKF said (as usual).
Besides, the only way there would be to adjust POI up and down (elevation) on a gun with fixed sights, would be to mill them down, or replace them with shorter one's. I'd tend towards wanting to try using sand bags off of the bench with 3 shooters at a specific distance, all firing the same ammo, at the same size target. Only if all 3 shooters group in the same spot on their target's, would I condemn the weapons sights. YMMV?
Very sound advice, and I don't see where help has to be perceived as condemnation...? Many years ago, I was at the range with my brand new Beretta .40 (pretty snappy recoil in that gun...). Well, I was absolutely convinced that the sights were off due to the consistent low & left hits. So, I figured I'd get a second opinion, and asked the range officer to try it. Sure enough, he blew the center out of the target! I was a little embarassed, but hey, the trigger was new to me, I never had formal training, and at the time I was used to nice 1911 trigger pulls...

I did appreciate that little 'lesson,' and now always follow the steps highlighted in a couple of the previous posts before assuming it's the sights. Dry fire practice on a stationary target is definitely a good way to see if (or, how much...) the muzzle is moving when you pull the trigger.