View Single Post

Old 12-23-2009, 02:32 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,095 Times in 1,249 Posts

"I am a "newbie" to the Forum and am interested in buying a quality large frame .357 revolver for home defense and occasional target shooting."

If you truly want a large frame .357 Magnum then go for the Smith & Wesson Model 27 or Model 28. These revolvers are a joy to shoot and completely handle any sane (and a few insane) full power .357 Magnum loads. The big N-Frame .357 Magnums balance so well in the hand and they still soak up recoil like a sponge. Not everyone cares for the front-heavy feel of the L-Frame revolver or the Python. I'd have been a fan of the L-Frame .357 if they hadn't insisted marketing it only with that chunk of a barrel.

I have a 6-inch Model 27 and a 6-inch Python. Though the Python is accurate and has a wonderful single action trigger I don't care for the full lug barrel and the double action pull is off-putting. I'll take the N-Frame Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolver above all others.

Pythons aren't necessarily as delicate as rumor has it around the internet. Should you get one it'll serve you well because you take care of your guns.