View Single Post

Old 12-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Exclamation Just a tweak to this comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoe on the yukon View Post
Don't mean to nitpick but this needs to be corrected for those who might be misled by this.2400 never "required"a magnum primer.It was common for a number of loading manuals to recommend magnum primers with it due to it's being considered a slow powder but it was never required.The powder has not changed.
Canoe is right. Elmer, Skeeter and others have proven long ago that you don't HAVE to use a magnum primer for 2400.

That was long before every Tom, Dick and Harry (Skip) had a chronograph. When I used 2400 in cold weather and standard primers in large caliber handgun cases, I wasn't too impressed with the numbers across the chronograph. I thought I would try, Winchester Large Pistol primers and Wolf Magnum Large Pistol primers and see what happened.

I backed off my load about .5gr and went to the range. Near the same temperatures, 30*F or so, and tried again. Exactly what I thought would happen happened. My ES and SD numbers changed dramatically. They came down to the low double digits and stayed there.

So, to be technically correct, 2400 doesn't need magnum primers. For those of us that are a little OCD and watch the numbers on our chronograph WAY TOO CLOSELY using them may help!

If you do use them, make sure you back off any previously worked up loads.