View Single Post

Old 12-27-2009, 01:14 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 774 Times in 375 Posts

The jet is famous for fireballs, regardless of what powder is being used, if they are at least appropriate for the round. That picture sure looks like an indoor range to me. There are what looks like fluorescent lights overhead.

My .475 uses fairly large charges of H-110, and I have never had a fireball from it. I use it in my .45 Colt Redhawk, and Blackhawk, and even in my M-25's with no trouble as far as excessive flash, and not in my .44's or .41 either. I get just as big a lightshow from 2400 as I do H-110, which is to say, not much.

All powders flash as I said in my last post. You can take video and crop pictures from the moment of ignition, but most of the time the flash is too short lived to be detectable in real time. We have watched this on numerous hunting programs on TV lately. Mostly from big double rifles over in Africa. We don't see the flash when the scene is being played in real time, but when they play back the shot in slow motion, the flash is quite noticable.

The smaller the caliber, the more it seems to show up when using this powder from what I have observed.