View Single Post

Old 12-27-2009, 12:43 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

FWIW, first off both the Python and S&W .357's are great guns IMHO.

It is a very tough call IMHO.

There are differences in the actions and I like the old double actions of the Colts.

However, I did a little stoning here and there on my 686+ and it has a wonderful action IMHO.

If you can afford it though, I'd buy the Python now and the S&W .357's later due to availability.

But your question is very, very hard to answer because I believe both manufacturers make/made very nice .357 revolvers.

It is a subjective thing, but I favor, by a little bit, the old double action Colt revolver lockwork more than the S&W. I mean a VERY LITTLE BIT!!

You might look around for old Official Police revolvers made by Colt until 1969. I recently got a tack driver for only $225. It was an unrealistically good deal from my FFL friend but, it's action is as good as some Pythons I have fired. It isn't as robust or nice of a gun as the Python though. PLUS, the Official Police is .38 Special ONLY.

Alot of Official Police revolvers were made and alot are out there for MUCH less cost.

Maybe try one of those and buy the S&W .357 types also? (You'll have a nice .38 Special and a nice .357 that way.) Just a thought.

Here's an example of an Official Police on gunsamerica. Cost quite a bit more than I paid for but you will get the general idea:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/908516975...ial_Police.htm

Last edited by RDak; 12-27-2009 at 12:50 PM.