View Single Post

Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 PM

Liked 410 Times in 115 Posts
Default Man loses left hand in shotgun accident.

Quote:
BOISE - An Idaho man severely injured his hand after the shotgun he was using blew up while hunting.
Idaho County Sheriff's officials say on Christmas Shawn Crea, 46, was bird hunting in Idaho County near Highway 7 and Bryant Road. When Crea fired the gun, officials say the shotgun exploded - severely injuring his left hand.

None of the Bellevue man's hunting companions were in the immediate vicinity, but his cries for help were heard by nearby hunters Andy Terhaar and Greg Adams who called 911 for assistance.

Terhaar transported Crea to the roadway to meet Syringa Hospital's ambulance, which transported him to St. Mary's hospital. Crea was then taken to Lewiston and then transferred to Spokane for further treatment.

Investigation into the cause of the explosion continues however, initial information indicates an improperly hand loaded shell may have been the cause.

From this thread...

Not so good Christmas for a handloader. - THR

....this was posted:

Quote:
I would like to get a message to this thread that it is indeed the Shawn Crea from Bellevue, ID and that he lost the left hand completely in this unfortunate accident. I am a co-worker of his and didn’t want to register just to let them know the answer to their question. We haven’t gotten any more news on the exacts yet, but I am sure once Shawn masters one handed typing he’ll post something for the group. After that he will begin learning how to shoot and enjoy the life he has without his left hand.

Shanyn Schenk
Project Staff Assistant
POWER Engineers, Inc.
Speculation as to what happened:

20 guage shell loaded ahead of 12 guage shell;
Barrel obstruction;
Double charged handload.

If anybody has any further info, I'd like to hear it.