Thread: Heart Atacks
View Single Post

Old 12-31-2009, 11:08 PM
US Veteran

Liked 9,201 Times in 2,374 Posts

I had a heart attack in 1997, three months after retiring from the PD. I was working in the Clerks office for the Municipal Court and just felt ******. I had no pain anywhere but was sweating, nauseous, and a little dizzy. I went to the ER and was examined, and was told that my potassium level was low, so they gave me an IV. The cardiogram did not show anything, and I was sent home. or in my case, back to work. No problems after that, but I finally got a cardiologist and he wanted me to have a stress test and heart examination, so I did. While he was doing the heart cath, he showed me the screen and said that I had, at one time, a minor heart attack, and I told him when I thought it was. He said that sometimes during the attack, the cardiogram does not show it. I had one artery that was partially blocked and he did the angioplasty and ballooned the artery open. I have not had any problems since, nor have I ever had any chest pains or pain in my left arm. I do get a stress test every year now, and have had a couple more heart caths and so far so good.
I do carry nitro with me at all times, and my wife put aspirin tablets on my gun bench in the basement for me, just in case.