View Single Post

Old 01-02-2010, 02:58 PM

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Default Unique Powder: What is it good for?

Howdy all.
Before anyone jumps all over me, let me say that I have done a search on this site and others as well, for the answers that I am seeking.

Now. Here is what I have going on. I remember reading somewhere, either on one of the reloading forums or in a magazine, that every reloader should have a pound or so of Unique on hand, because it is so versatile. I happened to run into a pound of the "new cleaner burning" unique for a good price, and I bought it.

I have never used this powder to load anything in the last 20 years. I have used W-231/HP-38, AA powders #5, 7,and 9, VV N-350, Alliant 2400, and a host of others to load my handgun rounds. I have looked through my reloading guides, and see it used with a variety of bullet weights and calibers, but not with what I am currently loading.

Is this stuff good for the calibers I load, which are currently:
.38 special
.357mag.
.44-40
.44special
.44mag.
.45Colt
.45ACP

I am especially interested to see if it is any good with the 45 ACP cartridge. I am looking for a medium loading for a 230 gr. LRN and Plated RN.

Can anyone direct me to a guide for loading this powder. The Alliant site does not have a page dedicated to this powder that I could find.

Thanks,
WG840