Thread: "Dayton" guns?
View Single Post

Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,744 Times in 2,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pace40 View Post
4" heavy barrel Model 14 shipped to Dayton PD. Don't recall year or sn range but someone will be along with that info.
NOT correct.

The so-called Dayton guns were called Hanen Specials (not sure who Hanen was), and were ordered and sold through Dayton Gun Headquarters, Inc., of Dayton, Ohio for commercial sale.

They were four inch, heavy barrel revolvers in 38 S&W Special, with adjustable sights like the Combat Masterpiece; they were available in blue and nickel. I have seem some with standard hammers, triggers and stocks, and some with the target variety. To the extent that the Priwer article says the Dayton guns have shortened Model 14 barrels, I do not believe that is correct.

Although four inch barrels, the Dayton guns differed from the Combat Masterpiece by having a straight wall barrel, but they also differed from the regular Model 14s by having a straight wall barrel of significantly greater diameter than the usual straight wall heavy barrel of the Model 14.

Having compared them side-by-side, it looks to me like a heavy barrel from the Model 10 which has had a flat machined on the front to accept the Baughman Ramp front sight on ramp base. The top of the barrel does not have the usual grooving down its length, but is bead blasted, like the top of the Model 10 heavy barrel as shown in a previous post and picture.

Last edited by shawn mccarver; 01-02-2010 at 06:33 PM.