View Single Post

Old 01-02-2010, 09:02 PM

Liked 44 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
Sorry guys I just can't buy the conspiracy theory that the case is some sort of governmental evil way to track you and your gun. How could a casing you have, be used to track future shots fired by your gun? S&W says they test fire every gun they ship, one round and the spend casing in your box is the result.
Capt, not sure what you mean, but it is not a conspiracy theory but it is law in New York that the spent case from a new gun get sent in. I bought a new gun and it did not have a spent case and it had to be fired by the state police to get a case before I could take it home.

As I said above, Maryland still does it also.

Here is the NY law:

New York General Business Law § 396-ff(2) requires any firearms manufacturer that ships, transports or delivers a handgun to any person in New York to include a separate sealed container with a shell casing of a bullet or projectile discharged from the handgun, along with additional information that identifies the handgun and shell casing.
A state-licensed gunsmith or firearms dealer must, within ten days of delivering a handgun received on or after March 1, 2001, forward to the Division of State Police the sealed container enclosing the shell casing from the handgun. Section 396-ff(5). The state police must enter the pertinent ballistic information into an automated electronic databank (the “Combined Ballistic Identification System” or “CoBIS”) designed to ensure compatibility with national ballistic technology. Section 396-ff(6).
For detailed information on CoBIS, see N.Y. Comp. Codes R. & Regs. tit. 9, § 472.1 et seq.

Here is the Maryland law:

Pursuant to Maryland Code Annotated, Public Safety § 5-131(b), any manufacturer that ships or transports a handgun to be sold, rented, or transferred in Maryland shall include in the box with the handgun, in a separate sealed container:
  • A shell casing of a projectile discharged from that handgun; and
  • Additional information that identifies the type of handgun and shell casing.
Upon receipt of a handgun from the manufacturer, a firearms dealer shall confirm with the Department of State Police ("DSP") that the manufacturer complied with the provisions of section 5-131(b). Section 5-131(c)(1). When the handgun is sold, rented, or transferred, the dealer shall forward the sealed container to the DSP crime laboratory. Section 5-131(c)(2). Once received, the DSP crime laboratory shall enter the information in all pertinent databases to assist in the tracing of guns that are later stolen or used in crimes. Section 5-131(d).

Last edited by Hunt200; 01-02-2010 at 09:11 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: